12 Septic Tank Facts You Need to Know
August 10, 2021 Leave your thoughts
How much do you know about your septic tank? For proper septic tank maintenance, it’s crucial to have the facts about how this system operates and what is required to keep it running smoothly. Here are the fast facts to keep you informed about proper septic tank maintenance:
- Pumping frequency: For a household of four to six people, a septic tank should be pumped out every two to three years.
- Inspections: You should have your septic tank inspected at least once each year by a professional to ensure there is no damage or buildup that could cause issues. For optimal results, have this inspection performed twice each year.
- Drain field flow: You should divert all water away from the drain field.
- Parking: Do not park any vehicles on your drain field. This can damage the pipes in your system. (Don’t store heavy items here either, or install any structures over the drain field.)
- Vegetation: To avoid damage to your drainage system, do not plant anything other than grass on the drain field. If you choose to plant other vegetation, select items with shallow roots, so they do not interfere with your pipes.
- Drain care: Do not pour grease, motor oil, paint, cleaners or antifreeze down your drains. These substances will interfere with the process of breaking down the solids in your septic tank.
- Flushing: Your septic tank cannot break down certain materials. Do not flush non-biodegradable items down the toilet. This category includes plastic bags, disposable napkins and feminine products.
- Bacteria: To work effectively, your septic tank uses bacteria to break down waste. Do not flush old medicines or disinfectants down the toilet, as these can interfere with this process.
- Odors: If you detect unusual odors around your septic tank, this is an indication that you need septic tank maintenance. Contact a professional right away to complete an inspection and make any necessary repairs.
- Clogs: Keep an eye on your seepage trench. If you see effluent pooling here, your system is probably clogged, and you should contact a septic system expert to clean out the system.
- Grass: If you notice that the grass around your septic tank is more lush and darker than on other parts of your property, your septic system may need repairs. Have it checked out by a professional as soon as possible.
- Expertise: To keep your septic tank in top shape, partner with a professional team that will deliver quality septic tank maintenance. Look for a company that has an established reputation in the industry and can meet all your needs for installation, repairs and maintenance.
We know septic tanks
For expert care of your septic tank, partner with the professionals at Macken Services, Inc. We have been the area’s go-to source for septic tank maintenance, repairs and installation since 1968. Remember, the key to a well-functioning septic system is regular maintenance. Be proactive and give us a call to keep your system in great shape. Reach us today at 716-683-0704 to schedule service or learn more.
Categorised in: Septic Systems
This post was written by Writer