Prepping for freezing temperatures, snow and ice is a part of every homeowner’s life. However, if you have a septic system, your winter preparations are a little more in-depth. Keep reading to learn how you can prepare for winter weather with some basic septic tank maintenance in Lancaster, NY:
- Cover the tank: Insulation is key if you want to prevent the system from freezing on frigid winter days. Laying mulch, leaves or straw on the ground above the pipes and septic tank can do wonders to insulate the system. Just be sure to get out there and insulate the system before the ground is covered with snow.
- Use your system regularly: It’s never a good idea to go for long periods without using your septic system, especially in the winter when the pipes are susceptible to freezing. If you’re heading out for a long winter vacation, we recommend calling a friend to stop by your house and flush all of your toilets and run the taps to keep the system in working condition.
- Run hot water: As we just mentioned, running the taps helps ensure the septic system stays in good working order. It’s important that the water is hot, though! Hot water running through the pipes and down into the septic tank prevents the system from freezing up.
- Make repairs now: This one will have to be left to a professional, but now is the time of year to make any necessary repairs. Midseason breakdowns are typically very costly to fix, and may even be impossible if the ground is frozen over.
- Hire a pro for maintenance: Even if your septic system hasn’t had any problems recently, it’s not a bad idea to hire a professional to come out to your home. As you’ll learn below, a professional maintenance call provides a number of benefits for your home and your wallet!
Benefits of scheduling professional maintenance
Though you can get on just fine by using your septic system wisely, your best bet is to hire a professional for septic tank maintenance in Lancaster, NY each winter. Here are a few reasons why it’s a good idea to call us now:
- Longer lifespan: One of the last things you want is to have to replace your entire septic system, as this process is very costly and time consuming. By scheduling annual maintenance, you can trust that your septic system will stand the test of time and last as long as you live in your house.
- No midseason issues: Leaks, backups and any other plumbing problems are major hassles, especially during the holidays when you have friends and family in town. Ensure your system lasts throughout the winter without any problems by calling for an inspection today.
- Worry-free living: Spend more time with friends and family this season and less time worrying about the condition of your septic system. A quick maintenance call puts your mind at ease so you can get into the holiday spirit.
No matter the size or location of your septic tank, be sure to call our team at Macken Services, Inc. for septic tank maintenance in Lancaster, NY. We’ll send someone out right away to ensure your septic system is ready to handle any winter weather that comes our way.
Categorised in: Septic Services
This post was written by Writer