Common Winter Septic Tank Problems and How You Can Avoid Them
With so much on your plate this time of year, the holiday season is stressful enough without having to worry about your septic system breaking down! Luckily for you, we’re here to help.
Keep reading to get a few septic tank tips in Lancaster, NY that will help prevent common septic issues this time of year:
- Frozen tank components: Plummeting temperatures take a toll on a number of things around the house. Since it’s buried underground, you might not realize that your septic system can freeze up just like the pipes in your home. The best way to avoid a frozen tank is to cover the ground with straw, mulch or leaves to provide some insulation.
- Compacted soil: Parking can be hard to come by if you’re having guests over for the holidays. Just be sure that any visiting vehicles don’t park on your lawn on top of your septic system or drain field. Doing so compacts the soil, which may lead to the frozen components mentioned above.
- Improperly functioning pipes: Thanks to freezing temperatures and increased use, your pipes are more likely to experience problems this time of year. Whether it’s a leak, a clog or frozen pipes, you’ll need to address the problem as soon as you notice it to avoid further complications.
- Backups: Backed-up toilets, sinks and even tubs are every homeowner’s worst nightmare, especially when guests are over for the holidays! You can help prevent any backups by educating guests on what should and should not go down the drains and toilets.
How can you avoid these issues?
The good news is that most of the septic tank problems mentioned above can be avoided. Follow this advice and your septic tank will be good to go throughout the year:
- Get a winter checkup: One of the best septic tank tips in Lancaster, NY we can provide is to get a professional inspection! A pro will be able to point out any flaws in your septic system that need to be addressed before any issues arise. Call us today to schedule an inspection, as time is running out!
- Make repairs right away: If your professional notices any issues with your septic system, or if you’ve recently had any leaks or clogs, have the problems addressed now! Making repairs sooner rather than later prevents catastrophic issues with your septic system and in other parts of your home.
- Watch what goes down the drain: The only things that should be flushed down the toilet are human waste and toilet paper, and the only thing that should go down the drain is water! Even though your family members know this, your holiday guests might not. We recommend putting helpful notes up by the toilets and sinks, reminding folks that your house runs on a septic system.
Don’t choose anyone but Macken Services, Inc. if you need any septic help this season. On top of offering these septic tank tips in Lancaster, NY, we can provide an array of services for both homes and businesses. Give us a call today to see what we can do for you!
Categorised in: Septic Services
This post was written by Writer