Tips on How to Properly Maintain Your Catch Basin
Catch basins are storm or sewer drains, often located on private property, that are used to collect rainfall and keep the streets free of flooding. If you have a property that regularly accumulates heavy rainfall, or if there are areas of your yard that routinely collect pools of standing water, you should consider installing a catch basin at your home, if you haven’t already.
Catch basins are fairly easy to care for. With proper drainage and an adequate grate, your catch basin can work without issue for years to come. Your catch basin is most likely to be successful, however, with a little bit of regular care.
Procuring the services of a company specializing in catch basin cleaning services in Lancaster, NY can help you ensure that your catch basin is ready to handle pretty much anything that Mother Nature can throw its way. Here are just a few tips to keep in mind that can help you keep your catch basin in tip-top shape:
- Avoid filling it with the wrong things: One way that you can keep your catch basin clear and operating correctly is by keeping potentially hazardous objects and substances out of it. For instance, you should never let oils or caustic substances go down the drain. Additionally, you should work to keep large pieces of lawn waste or animal carcasses out of the basin.
- Keep the grates clear: If anything is blocking your catch basin, it won’t be able to drain water effectively from your yard. Be sure to keep the grates of your catch basin clear at all times. In fall, for instance, it’s fairly common for large collections of leaves to form a barrier on top of the grate that could prevent the catch basin from doing its job.
- Remove debris: Your catch basin should have a small collection area at the bottom that gathers leaves, twigs and other forms of debris. Be sure to remove this debris frequently—it’s especially likely to accumulate following large storms with heavy wind and rainfall.
- Flush the drain pipe: After scooping out the debris collector, be sure to flush out the drain pipe with clean water from your hose. Avoid using drain cleaners in your catch basin—these are environmentally harmful, and could contaminate your yard and local waterways.
- Invest in professional cleaning: You should invest in catch basin cleaning services in Lancaster, NY at least once each year. Paying for professional help with your catch basin will allow you to rest easy knowing that your catch basin is up to the task next time a storm rolls through the area.
For more than half a century, Macken Services, Inc. has been a trusted provider of catch basin cleaning services in Lancaster, NY. We’re proud to provide our clients with high-quality septic services, drainage services and grease trap jetting services. We offer preventative maintenance, repair and new system installation. To learn more about ways that we can help you keep your home, yard or restaurant clean and in optimal condition, reach out to one of our friendly representatives today.
Categorised in: Catch Basin Cleaning
This post was written by Writer