Some Tips to Increase the Lifespan of Your Septic System
Millions of homeowners and business owners rely on septic systems to handle their wastewater, but many people still struggle to care for their systems effectively. It can be overwhelming to consider the care and effort required to maintain a septic system and keep it operating effectively, but you shouldn’t have to stress about your system. By taking a few basic steps to maintain your system and care for it correctly, you can avoid premature system replacement and reduce the need for expensive septic tank repairs in Erie County, NY:
- Take the time to learn about your system: It’s difficult to care for a system that you don’t understand, so take some time to find out more about the specifics of your system. You should know where it’s located on your property, how old it is, what its capacity is and when it was last serviced. If you aren’t sure when your tank was last pumped, it’s a good idea to contact a professional septic contractor to inspect your tank and determine whether it’s time for service.
- Keep your system accessible: Since septic tanks are underground, it’s easy to forget about accessibility. Still, it’s important that your septic system lid is uncovered and the area around it is kept as clear as possible to make maintenance and service easy. It’s also important to keep the area around your system clear to prevent contamination from chemicals or debris.
- Plan changes carefully: If you’re planning on doing any landscaping or construction on your property, you have to contact your local health agency to find out about any applicable restrictions. There are usually laws governing what kind of changes you can make to the area immediately surrounding your septic system, so you should always check first before you get started with a project.
- Invest in regular septic pumping: Septic pumping removes the sludge and other matter in your septic tank to restore its capacity and prevent system overload. Regular septic pumping should be done every three to five years, although this depends on a number of factors, including the tank’s volume and age and how much use it gets.
- Take care of repairs as necessary: It’s easier to invest in minor septic tank repairs in Erie County, NY now than to push it off and have to deal with larger issues down the road. When you get your septic tank serviced, you should ask your contractor to identify any repair needs and handle these problems to keep your system performing effectively and efficiently.
If you need septic system service, reach out to Macken Services, Inc. For 50 years, we’ve been proud to provide maintenance, installation and septic tank repairs in Erie County, NY. We are here to provide you with services that are designed to increase the efficiency, performance and longevity of your system. We have experience providing a wide range of services, including septic pump repairs, septic tank installation, sludge removal, storm drain cleaning and more. Reach out to us today to get a free quote and to schedule service with our expert team.
Categorised in: Septic Tank Repairs
This post was written by Writer